Feb 11, 2011

Crazy about movies... or movies about crazy!

A couple of days ago I came across this movie called "It's kind of a funny story" (2010).

Judging by its title I hoped for light-hearted, silly little comedy. I actually did not read the plot or anything. Sometimes I still like to be surprised. And surprised I was. That'll teach me not to judge a movie by its title!

I won't spoil too much for you but it's about a teenage boy with suicidal thoughts that checks himself into a phychiatric ward. Suffice to say that it is a story about human nature, relationships and coping with life.

So this morning I woke up thinking of these other two "mental" movies: obviously, the classic "One flew over the cucko's nest" (1975) with Jack Nicholson's brilliant performance and the maybe lesser known but, in my humble opinion, with an equally brilliant performance from Kevin Spacey, "K-PAX" (2001).




Do you you know any other movies set in mental institutions?
Which one is your favourite & why?

2 comments:

  1. "Girl, Interrupted" is brilliant. Check it out. Angelina Jolie and Wynona Ryder´s best performances ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watched it recently fully, I think I might have seen bits & pieces before. Indeed, brilliant performances. And it does make you wonder if there is a little bit of "crazy" in all of us... thank you for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete