Feb 2, 2011

F**k it & be happy

You'll have to excuse... not my language but the sin of daring to write a review without the book in front of me. Unfortunately my copy is far, far away, but... f**k it, I'm not going to let that stop me.

I'm actually going to use that as an excuse for not going too deep, in the name of keeping it personal & fresh.

As you can see from the background of my blog, I love books. I always have. I love to read them, see them, hold them, touch them. I grew up in a house full of books. I studied Librarianship. I always wander into bookshops or book stalls when out & about. I love books. I said it.

This particular one caught my eye during a browsing session in my local bookstore. It was black with a candle on its cover. It was smooth to touch. But what grab my attention was the title: "F**k it". Somehow there was something wrong with it, a contradiction. The sleekness of the cover & then a swear word? To make matters worse (or better, I should say) there was a subtitle: "The Ultimate Spiritual Way".

What!?!?!?    
                    
                              "F**k it: The Ultimate Spiritual Way"?!?!?!


Just to prove that I'm not making this up...


Now it definitely had my attention. There was something intriguing about all these apparent contradictions. A book in the self-help section that has a swear word & a candle in the cover & claims to be spiritual? Boy, that is definitely unusual!

I won't go into detail on everything it talks about. I can't even if I wanted to. But here it's one of the lasting impressions it had on me: we are unhappy because we are stressed, we grab onto things, people, situations unnecessarily. And that makes us suffer. When we say "f**k it" to things, we relax, things start falling into place, opportunities start to appear, we are more in tune with ourselves & the world. Afterall, everything happens for a reason, doesn't it?

I hope Mr. Parkin I'm not simplifying too much. But then again, as I said, I don't have my copy with me. I look forward to re-reading it & re-enjoying going over my favourite fragments.

Oh, and I forgot to say, the book is seriously funny!

They say "never judge a book by its cover". Well, I'm glad I didn't.

What is your favourite book  & why?

Or if this question is too daunting, what is one (any) of your favourite books?

For more information, check  http://www.thefuckitway.com/ .

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like an interesting book!

    My favourites are by Robert Rankin, a trilogy starting with "Armageddon: The Musical". Maybe I´ll lend it to you if you take care of it! It´s hilarious. Go and check it out online first to see what it´s about.

    I also recommend "The Secret", but you probably already know all about it!

    ReplyDelete